Conservative Treatment For GERD
- Patients normally will initially be evaluated for habits or provocative events that can be causing the reflux.
- Patient may need to be guided regarding eating habits, portion control, and to avoid aggravating food products. Tomato base foods, chocolate, caffeinated drinks, alcohol, peppermint among others can decrease the lower esophageal sphincter pressure.
- Overweight or obese patients may benefit from reducing the intra-abdominal pressure. Weight loss guidance needs to be given.
- Avoid going to sleep soon after eating.
- Elevation of the head of the bed. Patients commonly find that using 2 to 3 pillows or beds that allows angulation can provide the help of gravity to keep secretion or food in the stomach.
- Smoking cessation since it not only can cause gastritis and ulcers, but also can reduce the lower esophageal sphincter pressure.
For More Information on Weight Loss Surgery.
For more information on bariatric surgery, or to schedule a consultation with Dr. Baptista, please contact Florida Surgical Physicians today.