Roasted Eggplant, Red Peppers & Olives
- 1 medium eggplant, about 1 lb./ 500g, peeled & cubed
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into chunks
- 1 small onion (or ½ cup) sliced
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup Greek olives (kalamata)
- 1 large clove garlic, finely chopped
- ½ tsp. oregano
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
- 1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- salt & pepper to taste
- ½ cup x. virgin olive oil
- Place vegetable chunks and olives in a large bowl.
- Sprinkle herbs, salt & pepper, balsamic vinegar and olive oil over all, and toss to combine.
- Spread vegetables in a greased, shallow baking pan.
- 400°F for 35 to 40 minutes, stir halfway through.
- Serve with freshly grated Romano or parmesan cheese if desired.
Makes 6 servings
Per recipe – calories: 1310; Fat: 128g; Carbs: 44g; Fiber: 16g/28g ECC; Protein: 10gPer Serving – Calories: 218; Fat: 21.3g; Carbs: 7.3g; Fiber: 2.7g/4.6g ECC; Protein: 1.7g
Recipe courtesy of Doreen
Baked Ham with Low Carb Maple Bourbon Glaze
- 9 to 10 pound hickory smoked ham (fully cooked), butt portion
- 1 teaspoon maple extract
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 1/4 cups sugar substitute (recommended: Splenda)
- 2 to 3 tablespoons bourbon
- 1 tablespoon whole cloves
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Place ham face down in a shallow baking pan and cover loosely with aluminum foil.
- Place on lower rack of oven and bake for 1 hour.
- While the ham is baking, mix together all the glaze ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
- After 1 hour of cooking, remove ham from oven, uncover and stand ham up on 1 side. With a sharp knife and in a “tic-tac-toe” fashion, make shallow cuts all over the fatty side of the ham, scoring 1-inch squares. Insert single whole cloves in every corner of the squares created by the cuts. Pour the glaze over the top and let drip down the ham. Place uncovered ham back in the oven and cook for another 30 minutes. Remove from oven and let stand 15 minutes before slicing.
Total Time: 2 hrs; Prep: 15 mins; Inactive: 15 mins; Cook: 1hr 30mins; Yield: 12 Servings
Nutrition Info Per Serving – Calories: 517; Fat: 23g; Sat Fat: 6g; Carbs: 4g; Net Carbs: 4g
Recipe courtesy George Stella
Low-carb Pumpkin Cheesecake
- 1 pound cream cheese
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Sweetener equivalent to 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- pumpkin pie spice, to taste
- pinch salt
- 1 package Wise Choice Easy Cheesecake Mix
- Preheat oven to 500°F. Grease one 8-9″ or two 6″ pie or cake pans.
- Mix room temperature cream cheese with water until smooth. Add heavy cream, sweetener, pumpkin puree, and flavorings.
- Stir in contents of pouch until dissolved.
- Immediately pour into baking pan and place in oven. Reduce heat to 250°F. Bake 30-40 minutes until set.
- Cool 30 minutes in oven with door open. Then cool another 30 minutes on counter before refrigerating.
- Store in refrigerator, covered.
Makes 8 servings
Nutritional Info Per Serving – (calculated by Mastercook made with canned pumpkin, without the spice) Calories: 250; Fat: 23g; Carb: 7g (of which 4g is fiber); Protein: 6g
*based on no-calorie sweetener
For More Information on Weight Loss Surgery.
For more information on bariatric surgery, or to schedule a consultation with Dr. Baptista, please contact Florida Surgical Physicians today.